DMSO works in a number of ways, but these are entirely new to therapeutic principles. This is not a drug in the usual sense, since a drug treats disease symptoms. DMSO treats altered cellular function or damaged cells. The cells become healed and restored by changing and stabilizing the "water structure" within the cell. It exerts its effects on biological systems by changing the liquid structure of water. Therefore, changes occur in protein and other molecules. These changes are physical-chemical in nature and difficult to understand without a degree in physics.
What Are Its Major Therapeutic Properties?
- It is anti-inflammatory.
- It is anti bacterial, fungal and viral.
- It transports all molecules (drugs, etc.) across cell membranes.
- It is a vasodilator, probably related to histamine release in the cells and to prostaglandin inhibition.
- It is a scavenger of the hydroxyl free radical.
- It stimulates the immune system.
- It increases interferon formation.
- It stimulates wound healing.
- DMSO substitutes for water in the living cell - it can destroy intracellular free radicals. No other antioxidant can do that.
- DMSO increases the permeability of cell membranes yielding a flushing effect of toxins from intracellular location to extracellular.
- It is an antidote to allergic reactions.
- It can penetrate any cell wall; thus it can get where most chemicals can't.
- It has a very low index of any toxicity.
- Allergic reactions to DMSO can occur but they are uncommon.